SEO friendly websites are growing as wide as the sky. Keyword research is the backbone of any SEO activity. First let’s understand what is keyword research. The world wide web is an owner of thousands of machines processing large quantities of information very quickly. When a person performs a search at any of the major engines, (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc) it’s the responsibility of the search engine to display the most relevant webpage with the best content at the top. Now, we ask a query on the internet because we want answers in a fraction of second. In this scenario, no person will type the entire problem statement or the entire situation on google or any other search engine. We only type a part of a problem with the most relevant words. Keyword research is a practice search engine optimization professionals use to find these search terms that people enter into search engines while looking for an answer. It is one of the most valuable and high return activities in the digital marketing field. The initial step in digital marketing campaign should begin with keyword research. This will help in understanding what is important to your audience. We know that the use of keywords has a significant impact on organic page rank in search engines. 75% of internet users never even look past the first page of search results. If you want to learn in depth and become an expert in Keyword research, here are a few tips.
Five tricks to master Keyword Research.
1. Get to know your domain before researching. Ranking for the right keywords can help in increasing the ranking of your website. By researching on your domain you will not only learn which terms and phrases to target with SEO, but also learn more about your customer’s requirements. It’s not always about getting visitors to your site, but about getting the right kind of visitors. Don’t rush to rank the keywords on any website. Wait to get enough visitors, backtrack their searches. Learn about their pattern of entering a query. After knowing your audience, ranking a keyword becomes a lot easier.
2. Understand what is short term keyword and long-term keyword
Short tail keywords have one to three words. They are generalised queries entered in a search engine. Identifying the exact traffic for a short keyword is a lot difficult. For example, consider a Short tail keyword, “cake”. When some types “cake” he/she may be looking for chocolate cake, blueberry cake, eggless cake or even a cupcake. Your business may or may not be associated
with all the searches related to the keyword, “cake” Long tail keywords have three or more words. These are more specific queries. Identifying the
traffic created by a long tail keyword is much easier and is more beneficial. “Cupcake with buttercream frosting” is more up to point keyword which will find only relevant pages. Now you can come up with some short tail keywords as well as long tail keywords.
3. Test the value of a Keyword. Be it long tail or short tail keyword, how much is that keyword worth to your website? For example consider you have an online Cake store, do you make more sales from visitors searching
for “Chocolate cake” or “Strawberry cake”?. To understand the value of a keyword, you need to first assign a keyword depending on the searching pattern of the visitors. Then give some time to prove itself. Keyword research tools allow us to find this information. So the next step is to learn to use a Keyword research tool.
4. Keyword research tool These tool provides keyword ideas and help in increasing the traffic of a website. Few of the popular keywords are :
● Google Keyword Planner – is a keyword research tool that allows you to find the right keywords to target for display ads, search ads, video ads, and app ads.
● KWFinder – is keyword research and analysis tool bringing hundreds of long tail keywords with low SEO difficulty.
● Moz’s Keyword Explorer – this provides more useful metrics and actionable data than the average tool.
● SEMrush – is a powerful and versatile competitive intelligence suite for online marketing in SEO. After testing your list of keywords, you can cut down the keyword list. These tools also help to determine which terms are trending upward so that you can incorporate them in your website.
5. It’s a good practice to check your competitors ranking for keywords
Getting to know what keywords your competitors are trying to rank for will certainly help you. If your competitor is ranking for certain keywords that are on your list, too, then you can work on improving your ranking for those.
But keep in mind that, just because your competitor is doing something doesn’t mean you need to. Just because a keyword is important to your competitor, doesn’t mean it’s important to you. Also don’t be afraid to use many keywords or to develop a new keyword. This could be a great
opportunity for you to establish a strong position on the search engine’s results.
The whole purpose of Keyword research is to promote and put your website on top in search results and lead the customers from the search results to your page. Don’t forget to keep checking the traffic generated by a certain keyword Don’t hesitate to remove the ones with no traffic. Keep updating, strengthening and optimizing your website.